Friday 15 August 2014

MK Legacy Scorpion Part 2-Gauntlets


To start the gauntlets I made the base piece first, the main piece has an unfinished edge along the top and sides with top-stitched detail but the bottom of the gauntlet is rounded off. 


To achieve this I added a seam allowance to the bottom of my gauntlet pattern. This base piece was cut out of thin leatherette so that it would be easy to wrap around a form. 


For the form I simply used an old plastic folder I had laying around, it was thin enough to flex to the shape I needed and strong enough not to warp. The top-stitching around the gauntlet trapped the form onto the leatherette holding it in place.


The seam allowance was cut in increments of roughly 2cm to allow it to take the curve properly each tab was glued down and overlapped by the next.


This gave the piece a clean finished edge and added some thickness as well. Once this was repeated on the other gauntlet the detail pieces were made next.



Each piece was cut out twice in 2mm thick leather, using templates I made in Illustrator I marked and punched all the holes for the rivets, a similar guide was made to punch the corresponding holes into the gauntlets so that each piece matched up properly.

To better match the darker colour of the pleather each piece of leather was buffed with a coat of black shoe polish. For comparison the triangular piece is untreated and the strip has been coated.



The strips were riveted on first, I found anodised rivets that looked much nicer than black painted ones do. The straps were next sewn onto the main gauntlet piece. The triangular pieces act as cover guards that conceal the join so they were riveted on last.



Slots were cut into each strap to fit the buckles through. 



The pieces were checked for fit in case the straps needed any adjusting, but thankfully my measurements were right!



I managed to ID the actual gloves used, I believe they are called stealth bomber gloves and are made by a company called Fox. The next step is to grub these gauntlets up and give them a believable worn feel.

The dirt was applied all over the gauntlets with a slightly damp sponge, once dry they were rubbed down with a damp rag which left the texture in all the recessed areas to give them a grimy well used feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment