Wednesday 12 September 2012

No Budget Prop Building !

I decided to set a challenge and try to make something using only the random junk in the garage and this is the build that followed :

I decided to carry on the Star Wars theme I've been on for the past few weeks and made a Gaffi stick, the weapon used by the Tusken raiders.



I decided to base mine on the one in the middle since most people seem to go for the one on the left, thought I'd mix it up a little haha.


I made a paper mock up of the size I guesstimated the war club should be and cut an old curtain rail to size, I then stripped off the paint and gave it a dark stain.


I used a spade bit (I think thats what they're called?) to bore a hole into one end of the shaft for the metal club piece to attach.

For the metal piece I used a metal rod from an old flatpack greenhouse after removing the paint the bare metal had a worn look to it which made it fit perfect for the used feel I wanted. I cut slots into the metal with my dremel for the mace tip to slot into.


Next a paper template was made for the mace piece which was traced onto an old empty plastic tub, I made two identical pieces that were slotted together into a cross shape which then fit into the metal rod.


The next step was detailing, I cannibalised an old bike pump for some little pieces, ended up taking a washer and two connectors, filled the writing on the connector piece and glued the main pieces. each piece was painted a dark metallic colour to try blend with the real metal.


Using hot glue I went along where each piece met with another to create a messy welded look, the hot glue was painted to match the plastic pieces. The photos don't pick up how metallic the paint actually looks.




1 comment: