Friday 5 December 2014

Gotham By Gaslight Project: Part two-Throwing Knives


One of the simpler pieces for this project were the throwing knives, these were needed to go onto Batman's utility belt and to be used as set dressing for other scenes. I decided to make these from Sintra since it is lightweight and has some flex.


The throwing knives were drawn out using a template made in Illustrator and cut out using a craft knife. My first plan was to have these knives cut out using a laser cutter, but after a little research online I found that foam PVC didn't agree with laser cutting so I cut them out as symmetrically as I could by hand.


Each knife was primed and given a little spot filler to smooth out the slightly textured surface of sintra.


To create the bevel I cut away the outer edge of the blade and then remade the tip from 0.5mm styrene. This acted as a guide so that I could fill the step between the sintra and styrene with filler to give me a quick and clean bevelled edge.



Each knife was then given its six coats of primer and wet-sanded ready for painting.

 

The Blades were painted flat black



The blades were dry-brushed with acrylic, starting with grey and working up to a bright silver. After these layers had dried fully they were given two coats of lacquer to protect the metal effect. The last layer was another thin coat of flat black, this was lightly worn away around the edges with some 1500 grit sandpaper and the knives were finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment