Sunday 10 August 2014

Mortal Kombat Legacy Scorpion Part 1-Waist wrap


This is a costume being made for an event in London in October, I chose the undead version to break away from the nice clean Props I usually make and get more practice with weathering. This project will also be heavily costume based rather than prop based like I normally do, again, building up skills so this project should be fun! 

I'll be splitting this project up into parts so I'll make a separate post for each costume part so as this post doesn't become ridiculously long.

First up I made the waist wrap, after screen-capping some shots from Scorpions episodes of the series I figured out the scale I needed to make the costume parts fit me. The waist wrap is extremely simple. The actual piece has a wrapped appearance but has a corset type fastening at the back, so rather than being one long continuous pieces it is instead separate layers that are attached together at the back.


Each piece was done in pleather, since it needed to be quite thin to allow a good range of movement and also I already had it lying around haha. The pieces have a ragged edge that has been cut into it at the bottom rather than worn in, so none of these pieces needed any sort of hem so they only took 5 mins to cut out. The pieces were patterned to lay on top of each other to create the layered look and tapered at the back to the same length.


To help make the different layers stand out the actual wrap used has a golden highlight along the bottom edge of each layer, I used a bronze enamel which was drybrushed along the bottom edges of each layer before being stitched together. I tested the colour on a scrap piece of material first to check it didn't stand out too much, this is only supposed to be a subtle highlight and not an obvious shiny gold band at the bottom.


At this point each of the pieces were layered together and the edges were trapped in by the two back panels that the lacing would go through, securing each layer in place. The rivets were hammered in next and to help go along with the worn in look I used an old fraying black shoelace to lace the back up. This was lace so that the knot would face the inside of the wrap and would be out of sight.


Next up, the Gauntlets!



No comments:

Post a Comment